Tuesday, April 12, 2011

our easter traditions

this easter season, I really wanted a meaningful word to put on our mantle.
there are so many options with easter-
as there are so many symbolic things surrounding this special holiday.

after a bit of research, I settled on: hosanna.
it's familiar & simple for the kids to pronouce, but the meaning is profound.
it's of hebrew orgins {"hoshana" is the hebrew version}, and means:
"please save us." or "please save us now."

to me it is a riveting reminder of the true meaning of easter.
it reminds me why this holiday, even above Christmas,
is the most important holiday to my faith.

there is nothing more revealing of my need for saving- as becoming a mother and a wife.

I know Mr. M., GGIRL, NBOY & RBABY would agree there are many days,
{many.........many.......many...........many.......many}
that their mommmy- their wife- needs some redemption in her life.

I need some saving!

so those are some of the thoughts fleeting through my head,
as I see this word throughout the day at our home.
it's a proclamation to remind me of God.
of His Mercy, His Love, His forgiveness, His compassion,
and His death on the cross.

{all things I hope I'm reflecting to my children in my mothering.}
{that is, inbetween my continual need for grace.}
{which is often.}
{very often.}

DSC_0030

I decided to create an "easter tree" this year,
to help the kids understand the easter story.

it turned out wonderful.
it has been fun.
it has been captivating to see them understand easter.
we have used these books to help us along the way.

DSC_0043

along with these eggs. {resurrection eggs}

DSC_0026

after each egg,
we simply read the corresponding story in the book,
and create the item ourselves on paper, or some other way.

we also came up with simple words to remember with each item.
for example:
"the cup"- the last supper
"the coins"- greedy Judas
"the crown of thorns"- teasing
"the praying hands"- the garden

DSC_0028

I hope when my children look back at their childhood,
when they think of easter,
I hope they think- my mother kept easter.

she kept easter well.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your comment--I'm so glad I found your blog! I LOVE your mantle with "Hosanna." I have not yet pondered the meaning of that word this Easter season. Thank you for sharing. I also love your tree! It's so fun to see another version of it. Thanks for sharing your traditions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is SO great, Hannah - very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the "word" mantle - for a quote gal like me - that's something I am going to have to incorporate into my home! Love your intentionality as a Mom Hannah, you inspire me. I am blessed by your reflections today. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...