I was compelled to find a way to incorporate cake pop making,
into my life.
and then I saw her apple cake pops.
and I died.
because they were perfect-
for a little someone's upcoming birthday!
And so, I talked sweet GGirl into a snow white apple theme for her birthday.
partly, so I could make the apple cakes pops for her party.
....and to make cake pops with a smile on your face......
you'll need some flexibility for yourself
{and those little darlings surrounding you}.
and, in other words:
mr.m. took the kids on lots of "errands",
during the evening I was creating these.
to do:
watch this
bake a cake mix in a 9 x 13 pan.
{go for a dry cake finish versus a moist cake finish}
needed:
wax paper
cookie scoop
baking sheet
foam pieces {wrapped with plastic wrap- to protect it from dripping, melted, chocolate if you plan to re purpose it again}
cookie or lollipop sticks
melting chocolate
icing {I used: cream cheese & vanilla}

bake the 9 x 13.
let it cool.
when it's really, really cool,
crumble it into a bowl-
with your hands or a wooden spoon.

add the icing.
don't add too much.
I used about 3/4 a container per 9 x 13 cake
you want it to be sticky, but not gooey.
{if your cake mix is too icing heavy- it will fall off your stick.}
use your hands to mix the cake and icing together.

it should easily form a rounded ball.
but again- it shouldn't be gooey.

line a baking sheet with wax paper.
using your hands- or a cookie scoop,
form small balls of cake.
place them on the wax paper.

keep going- till your cookie sheet is full.
{mine are a little "bell shaped" since I was making apples}.

then- the trick:
chill them.
refrigerate them- overnight (covered).
or just for an hour (uncovered).
but the goal is to get them nice and chilled.

after chilling.
when you're ready to start dipping-
get your chocolate ready.
pour it in a micro safe bowl,
and melt it slowly.
mixing every 30 sec- till melted.

I found adding several tablespoons of vegetable oil to my chocolate,
was very helpful in keeping it thin & runny.
{other blogs suggested adding 1/4c of crisco.}
grab your cake pops from the fridge.
working quickly-
dip your cookie sticks into the chocolate.
push those into your cake pop.
then refrigerate them again-
till the chocolate around the stick is hardened.
about 10 min.
{do not skip this step- it's the do or die part of this tutorial}.

working quickly-
**again**
pull your: now-hardened-cake-pop-sticks-in-cake-pops,
out of the fridge.
slowly pick them up and coat them with melting chocolate.
I found using a spoon, and spooning the melted chocolate over the cake pop,
worked very well.
another trick:
make sure to thickly coat the spot where the cake pop and the stick meet.
that's your cake pop's foundation-
so you want it strong with chocolate.
and if you cake pops seem to be a little wobbly on their stick-
pop them back in the fridge again and let them harden a bit.

when coated.
place it upright in your foam.
tadaaaa!
here they are.
in all their red, melted, finished glory.
don't look too closely- there's lot's of imperfections.
but....I love them that way.
just like real apples, right?
a few brown spots, smudges, odd shapes here and there.

yes.
yes.
I think those apple cake pops turned out just perfect for me.
and easily charmed this darling birthday girl!

What a cute party and cute little girl too!
ReplyDelete