Wednesday, March 2, 2011

grocery shopping with three under five- a poem

off we go to the grocery store, but first lets get in the car.
"I want my drink!", "I can't put on my shoes!" we're not getting very far.

six socks, three coats, three seat belts, and six shoes
better grab the diapers....(but those I hope not to use)

it's a short list, it's planned to be a "quick" trip to the store
but often those turn out to take time a bit more

"I want cheese." "I want a cookie." "I want to ride the horse!"
Me: "if you have good behavior, you'll earn those, of course!"

NBoy:"I see a firetruck! Can we look mom, please!"
Me:"Yes, NBoy! Polite requests- I always love to appease!"

Me:"Now, before we go inside let's review the rules-that make our trip fun:
use your inside voice, hold onto the cart, and please.....please do not run.
If you'd like a cookie, or a cheese piece or two,
be kind to Rosie-she's in the cart too."

Me: "GGirl, please don't lick the handle on the shopping cart!"
Nboy: "Mom, can I please help! I want to do my part!"

Me: "NBoy, you grab the cans, G please don't wander away."
Hold onto the cart, that's where you're supposed to stay!"
GGirl: "Rbaby don't cry, you can have some of my cheese."
Me: "G!!! She doesn't have teeth, don't give her that, please!"

Me: "Let's try to go quicker guys, we've still got 10 aisles to go."
NBoy: "Mom, I'm moving fast- you're the one that's slow."

Me: "G! We're going on. PLEASE put your hand on the cart!"
NBoy: "Just do it like me, G, because I'm so very smart."

G: "Mommy, I want these! Look! They have Dora on the cover!"
N: "Wow! Woody fruit snacks, can we have them please, mother?"

Me: "Remember guys, this is a small trip,
there's not much room for all this stuff!
Let's keep going, I think we have enough!"

Me: "G! Sweet girl, don't eat the grapes- they're not washed!
N. Buddy. watch the pizza- or it's going to get squashed."

Me: "G!!! Come on, girlie. Back to the cart, put your hand on!"
GGirl: "but mommmy....you are taking SO long!"

NBoy: "mom, Rbaby is starting to fuss- so I put my hands over her eyes."
Me:"let's play peekaboo elsewhere, honey- I think that's making her cry."

Me: "Phew! Guys, we made it!! Job well done!"
NBoy: "Let's race to the horse, G! I won!"

NBoy: "G- you go first, I'll climb on too to ride.
That way we can each ride twice, climb on it's backside."

forty three minutes later, a squished pizza and some spilled punch,
I'm thinking I should have gone alone- during Mr.M's lunch.
but we made it home, and the trip was one of our best....
and now, we're really, really ready for a household rest!

2 comments:

  1. too cute! too funny! you're impressive, i think it's hard enough with only 2!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...