I'm not really and truly not a pet person. I think I'm mostly deterred by my very realistic expectations that children and daddy's don't usually care for the family pet- nope, usually that's another mommy job. And, right now, it's a job I'm not interested in- in the least.
However, a backyard box turtle? Yes. I can do that. And truthfully, the whole thing is a little nostalgic for me. My own daddy brought turtles home for my siblings and I after long trips. We adored those turtles, and at one point had at least six in a little backyard pen we built for them.
And so, Martha came home with us from our trip at the lake. Thus far she's been spending her days in a bright blue plastic recycling bin in our shady yard. But tonight, Mr. M. decided it was time for Martha's home to be upgraded. A few pieces of wood + some handy little helping hands + a Popsicle break + a few lessons on how to work daddy's drill= a sweet little home in predator free backyard suburbia for Martha the turtle.
Martha receives visitors during the morning and afternoon-after-nap playtime hours. So let us know if you'd like to welcome her to the neighborhood.
Ps. I really think that Martha is actually a "Matthew" but, the name was inspired by Martha the dog, in "Martha Speaks" by Susan Meddaugh one of NBoy's current favorite books. So, ya know.
Pss. For any concerned, we're washing our hands after petting Martha. We know she carries some special reptile germies we don't want to catch.
And you'll just have to ask Mr. M. whether or not he ate one of Martha's worms. We'll just say the little people are a little nervous that he might have actually consumed it!

No comments:
Post a Comment