Tuesday, November 10, 2009

our favorite home-made bread

It's fall and so we're baking a lot at our house, which means the bread maker has been dusted off and put to use (yay, for never kneeding another loaf of bread, or having to remember where I was in the process!). This is our vastly favorite, health'ified, bread machine, bread recipe. We're in crusty heaven, every time we eat it (with a generous slap of butter, of course)!

Bread Machine: I use a Breadman Plus to make this
Size: 1 1/2 Loaf
Crust: Light

Sally Lunn Bread Machine Recipe:
Milk 2/3 C
Butter 4 T
Eggs 2
Salt 1 1/2 t
Sugar 1/4 C
White Flour 2 C
Whole Wheat Flour 1 C
Flax seed Meal (ground) 2 T
Yeast 1 1/2 t

Toss into your breadmaker. While it mixes watch the dough for the right consistency. If too dry add a tsp of water, if too doughy add a tsp of flour, continue with small increments till dough becomes springy to the touch. When it's finished slice it up hot out of the machine! We like to top ours with strawberry jam, or my top seasonal pick-kimmel orchard's pumpkin butter.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! Sometimes I wish I had a bread machine... because the kneading is where I always mess it up when I try to make homemade bread. I wonder if I could try this recipe with my kitchenaid mixer using the dough hook - maybe I'd need to warm the milk first??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think the dough hook would work well. You might even increase the yeast just a tad...maybe 1 3/4 tsp. The original recipe doesn't include all the various flours...I adapted it to that. And, I learned that the recipe is very sensitive to temperature (my bread maker has a "glass viewing window" that has to be covered with foil in order for this recipe to rise well). So, with the more draft exposure of the Kitchen Aid...perhaps the warmed milk, and a tiny bit more yeast would asure a well-risen dough.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...