I decided last year during the Christmas clearance sales that I was going to buy a gingerbread house kit...so this year....we could make a gingerbread house. Yes, indeed my mind was filled with images of a peaceful, creative, inspiring, project that the kids and I could do together....that was not to be. These photos don't capture the true essence of our gingerbread project, it really went more like this:
Me: Let's start with the frosting. It's our glue.
N: Okay mommy.....lick, lick, lick.
Me: N! Don't lick the frosting- its so yucky (it's out of a bag and looks like wall paper paste...because it probably is).
N: Oh, okay. Sorry, mommy.....lick, lick, lick.
Me: N. Let's try again, use the spatula to smear on the frosting.
N: Like this mommy...lick, lick, lick
By this point he was actually licking off the gingerbread pieces...which made it really difficult for them to stand up. We ended up getting the basic structure up...and then, yes...I announced it was "nap time"- I know, but it's true.
So yes, as he slept....peacefully...I peacefully.....pieced the rest of it together and let it dry.
Then came the candy after nap time.
Me: G & N, it's time to decorate our house! Let's put on the candy.
N: Okay mommy...crunch, crunch, crunch.
G: crunch, crunch, crunch
The candy was truly gross. Very, very hard gummie things, and some other jawbreaker like candy...I mean after all...I purchased it last year.
Me: N! Don't give G. candy...and don't eat it, it's so old and it's for our house.
N: Ok. crunch, crunch, crunch......
G: crunch, crunch, crunch........
And so it went.
The house actually turned out well- for all the munching and crunching. And, I've caught them both, on the stool, which they have pushed up to the buffet where the gingerbread house is, popping more pieces of old, nasty, candy and frosting in their mouths!
But, I suppose that's what memories are made of.

Oh, Hannah! This just cracks me up. I was giggling through the whole story!!
ReplyDelete