Monday, July 6, 2009

4th-of-July-Red-White-Blue-Cake

Posted by Picasa
4th-of-July-Red-White-Blue-Cake
N was super excited about the 4th!
So, I had to come up with a fun cake that he
would enjoy helping me make,
and we'd all enjoy eating.
I used a favorite white cake recipe,
and added a bit of food coloring to each layer.
It's frosted with my favorite
cream cheese icing.
Bake all three layers and cool as directed.
Recipe Alterations:
Follow linked recipe for Coconut White Cake.
After mixing all ingredients,
split batter equally into three bowels.
For the red layer, I added 5 drops of
food coloring.
For the green layer, I added 4 drops of
food coloring.
For the white layer, I baked as is...
it was still slightly yellow due to the butter in
the batter. If you truly want a white layer,
substitute shortening for butter.
Use cream cheese icing to fill and ice the cake.
I topped mine with little stars from some
craft paper in my stash.
Favorite Cream Cheese Icing:
1 8 ounce package cream cheese (softened)
1/2 cup butter (softened)
2 t vanilla
6 cups sifted powdered sugar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...